Principal Researcher CONICET / Associate Professor UNC
Phone: +54 351 5353855 x 3419
Glycobiology of O-GalNAc glycans
Glycobiology is the study of the biosynthesis, structure, function and evolution of the glycans distributed in nature and the proteins that recognize them. In our working group we are interested in studying the biosynthesis of O-GalNAc glycans in the cell nucleus, as well as elucidating the role of these nuclear glycans in cell homeostasis and in different pathologies. We also studied the importance of post-translational modifications in the control of enzyme activity, and the role of lectins in cell physiology. O-GalNAc truncated glycans are frequently expressed in tumor cells of epithelial origin, so we work on obtaining antibodies that recognize O-GalNAc truncated glycans for therapeutic purposes.
- Lorenz V, And Ditamo, RB eyebrows, Carrizo ME, Bennett EP, Clausen H, Nores GA, Irazoqui FJ *. Extrinsic functions of lectin domains in O-N-acetylgalactosamine glycan biosynthesis. Journal of Biological Chemistry (2016) 291, 25339-25350. (*Corresponding author). ISSN: 0021-9258 (Print) 1083-351X (Electronic). DOI: 10.1074/jbc.M116.740795.
- Lorenz V, RB eyebrows, Bennett EP, Nores G A, Irazoqui FJ *. Functional control of polypeptide GalNAc-transferase 3 through an acetylation site in C-terminal lectin domain. Biological Chemistry (2017) 398, 1237-1246. (*Corresponding author) DOI: 10.1515/posts 2017-0130.
- RB eyebrows, Lorenz V, YC Garay, Irazoqui FJ *. Biosynthesis of O-GalNAc glycans in the human cell nucleus. Journal of Biological Chemistry (2019) 294, 2997-3011. (*Corresponding author). DOI: 10.1074/jbc.RA118.005524. Selected by Journal of Biological Chemistry as “Recommended Read”, and for the “Virtual Issue: Focus on South America” .
- Zlocowski N, Grupe V, YC Garay, Nores GA, Lardone RD, Irazoqui FJ *. Purified human anti-Tn and anti-T antibodies specifically recognize carcinoma tissues. Scientific Reports (2019) 9, 8097. (*Corresponding author). DOI: 10.1038/s41598-019-44601-9.
- RB eyebrows, YC Garay, de la Fuente S, Lardone RD, Irazoqui FJ *. Core 1 O-N-acetylgalactosamine (O-GalNAc) glycosylation in the human cell nucleus. Biological Chemistry (2020) 401, 1041-1051. (*Corresponding author). DOI: 10.1515/posts 2019-0448. Selected by Biological Chemistry for “Cover Issue Image”.
- Garay, Yohana C. (CONICET 2018-2023)
- Parodi, Pedro (CONICET 2020-2025)
- SeCyT, UNC (2018-2021): “Molecular Glycobiology of Tumour Cells” Consolidar Project Type II 2018-2021 (PIP 20180101251). Res. 411/18.
- CONICET PIP 11220150100226 “Glycobiology: from glycans biosynthesis to neuronal pathology”.
- Ministry of Science and Technology, Province of Córdoba. “Identification of glycosides modulating nuclear O-glycosylation with antineoplastic properties” Res. 144/18.
- ANPCyT. FONCyT 2018. PICT Roots 03228. “Biosynthesis and function of type O-GalNAc glycans in cell nucleus”.
- Mizutani Foundation 27th Research Grant 2020-21. Ref. No. 200062. “Biosynthesis and function of O-GalNAc glycans in the cell nucleus” from Mizutani Foundation for Glycoscience, JAPAN.
- Biochemist. Fcq, UNC.
- Pharmacist. Fcq, UNC
- PhD in Chemistry. Fcq, UNC
- Post-Doc in Glycobiology. University of Copenhagen. Denmark
- Specialist in Management of Innovative Technologies. Post-grade from Faculty of Economic Sciences, UNC.
- Associate Researcher of CONICET since 2004
- Independent Researcher of CONICET since 2008
- Principal Investigator of CONICET since 2017
- Assistant Student of Mathematics I and II. Fcq, UNC. 1982-3
- Teaching Assistant in Department of Clinical Biochemistry (DBC), Fcq, UNC. 1991-1999.
- Teaching Assistant in DQBRC, Fcq, UNC. 1999-2000 and 2002-2005. Adjunct Professor (Exclusive Dedication) in DQBRC, Fcq, UNC. 2005-2013.
- Associate Professor (Exclusive Dedication) in DQBRC, Fcq, UNC. 2013-2020 Full Professor (Exclusive Dedication) in DQBRC, Fcq, UNC. 2020-2021
- Responsible for the course Biotechnological Processes 1, DQBRC, Fcq, UNC
- Responsible for the course Economy and Management, DQBRC, Fcq, UNC.
Institutional Management Background
- Member of the Board of Directors of CIQUIBIC-CONICET, Fcq, UNC, in representation of Principal Researchers. Oct 2019-Sep 2021.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Department of Biological Chemistry, Fcq, UNC, in representation of Professors and Associates. Oct 2018-Sep 2020.
- Full Member in the Health Commission to evaluate Scholarships and Subsidies. Secretary of Science and Technology, National University of Córdoba. 2017-2018.
- Member of the Honorable Board of Directors of the FCQ, UNC, in representation of the faculty of Full and Associate Professors. Res. Dec. 498/16. June 2016-May 2018.
- Member of the Teaching and Vigilance Commissions and Regulations of the FCQ, UNC, in representation of the faculty of Full and Associate Professors. Res. Dec. 499/16. 01/06/2016-31/05/2018.
- Titular Member in the Advisory Commission of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology for Scholarships of CONICET. Res D. 2858/16. Years 2016 and 2017.
Background on Science outreach and extension
- Irazoqui FJ: Speaker as “POD: Presentation of Oportunity” Topyc: “Antineoplasm Antibody Platform” in “Vincular Córdoba” organized by Universities (BUTTER, UNC, UCC, Siglo21, Pascal), MinCyT Cba and Companies. March 2019. Córdoba.
- Irazoqui FJ, Nores GA. Synthesis of a glyconjugate of the Thomsen-Friedenreich disaccharide with immunogenic capacity. (AR023530A1 Act # P000101800. September 4, 2002). UNC-CONICET. AR023530B1.
- Iraqi FJ, Sendra VG, Nores GA. Modified Immunogen from Thomsen-Friedenreich Disaccharide (TFD), processing procedure, compositions containing it, uses and treatment methods. 20/11/2007. P 070105146. CONICET / UNC. AR063868B1. International
- Irazoqui FJ, Sendra VG, Nores GA. Thomsen-Friedenreich modified immunogen (TFD), preparation procedure, compositions compressing it, uses, and treatment methods. Pub No: WO / 2009/066245, Publication Date: 28/05/2009, International Application No: PCT/IB2008/054850. Applicants: CONICET-UNC.
Directed Ph.D. Theses
- Victor G. Sendra. CONICET Doctoral Scholar: “Strategies to generate an immune response against Thomsen-Friedenreich antigen with anti-tumour capacity”. Public Defense: 10/19/2010. Qualification: Outstanding.
- Natacha Zlocowski. CONICET Doctoral Scholar: “Effect of acetylation on the biological activity of polypeptidyl GalNAc-transferase 2”. Public Defense: 29/11/2011. Qualification:: Outstanding.
- Virginia Lorenz. CONICET Doctoral Scholar: “Mechanisms of enzymatic regulation in the biosynthesis of glycans of O-GalNAc type”. Public Defense: 11/03/2016. Qualification: Outstanding.
- Romina B. Eyebrows. CONICET Doctoral Scholar: “Glycosylation of the O-GalNAc type in the nucleus of human cells” Public Defense: 31/08/2017. Qualification: Outstanding. .